Staff Editorial: Introducing The Hatchet’s editorial board

Twice a week, we, The Hatchet’s Editorial Board, come together for a simple purpose: to share information with you. We stay updated on current events on campus, we look at what is happening across the District and we even watch for trends in higher education. But instead of simply offering that information to you in an unbiased manner, we tell you what we think about it, and that isn’t always pretty.

As the editorial board of the independent newspaper here on campus, we hope to provide you with some insight into GW both now, during CI, and well into the future. Individually, we come from different backgrounds and all have different opinions. But as a group, we look at the University critically and combine our thoughts to offer one unified and honest opinion. We hope to articulate our ideas in the most straightforward ways, especially when we believe something needs to change. We recognize that our message may not always be positive, but we share that message in order to bring about a positive result.

Our editorial board is comprised of seven members: managing editor Justin, director of development Erica, production manager Rachel, sports editor Louis, arts editor Caroline, contributing opinions editor Annu, and opinions editor Lyndsey. The seven of us hole up into a corner and decide what is the most pressing issue of the day. We then decide a solution. We are not here to just point out faults – we want to see this community not only endure but grow.

But mostly, like you, we are students. For the incoming freshman, just like you we spent a few days here during our summer vacation, meeting with our small CI groups, listening to administrators’ speeches in Lisner, and juggling pamphlets and handouts from all the student organizations we wanted to join.

We plan to take on various issues as an editorial board this year. Whatever our editorial says is a result of careful preparation and even a bit of arguing, but we always present you with our consensus.

Now that we’ve told you what the ed board is, let us tell you what it is not. The ed board and the news department do not work together. We are also not an Ivory Tower. We welcome and encourage your voices through e-mails and letters to the editors.

Readers can visit the Forum to comment on this editorial.