Residents look to start neighborhood watch program

A proposed Foggy Bottom neighborhood watch program has rapidly developed this summer, gaining a listing on the United States Neighborhood Watch website and developing plans to create a community watch group.

The program, organized by senior Lev Trubkovich, the vice president of the Foggy Bottom Association and chair of its Public Safety Committee, and 2D Citizens Advisory Council chair Samantha Nolan, seeks to establish a group of Foggy Bottom residents to patrol the neighborhood, identifying and reporting suspicious behavior.

Trubkovich said the first meeting about the group will be held after a June 29 FBA meeting. Though most students will not be at school, Trubkovich said he intends to reach out in the fall to students majoring in criminal justice or attending graduate school in the criminal justice field, as well as law students.

“No matter what, we’re not choosing students at random, these would be people who have an interest in law enforcement or have an interest in the criminal justice system, and they would be an integral part of the neighborhood watch program here in Foggy Bottom,” Trubkovich said.

While Metropolitan and University police patrol campus and the surrounding areas, the neighborhood watch program would provide additional security, acting as a liaison between law enforcement and the citizens who know the area well.

The Foggy Bottom Association Watch Program was registered with the National Sheriff’s Association June 9, and Trubkovich said he hopes to “mount an aggressive campaign to recruit block captains.” Nolan is coordinating Block Captain Training through the 2D MPD community-police listserv.

Trubkovich said the FBA website will soon feature a Neighborhood Watch and Crime blog that will allow the program to deliver information to the community.