Green Move-Out donations increase

Donations for this year’s Green Move-Out markedly increased from 2009, with some donations more than doubling during the program’s second year.

The program – which collects clothing, food and other items students do not want to take home or store after they move out of their residence halls in May – saw a 60 percent increase in the amount of clothing donated, and a 75 percent increase in the amount of food donated, according to a University administrator.

“The Office of Sustainability is impressed with the success and achievements of this year’s Green Move Out,” said Sophie Waskow, the stakeholder engagement coordinator for the Office of Sustainability, which helped promote the initiative, in an e-mail. “In our efforts to be a green campus it is inspiring to see how we can reduce the amount of waste we generate.”

The 60 percent increase in clothing donations amounts to 3,478 bags of clothing, which were donated to local shelters. This is an increase from the 2,169 bags donated in 2009.

About 5,000 pounds of food were donated in 2010, up from 2,700 in 2009. According to the Capital Food Bank – where the food was donated – one pound of food equates to one meal.

“Green Move-out literally gives back to the community right in our own backyard,” said Rose Kirk Dunnegan, a coordinator of the Green Move-Out initiative, in an e-mail. “It is wonderful to see everything from toasters, coffee pots, and dishes to suits and dresses be repurposed to programs within our city that use them to help people get back on their feet by perhaps assisting them with getting settled into an apartment after being in a shelter or going on a job interview.”

Nearly 80,000 pounds of items were donated in 2010, up from about 50,500 in 2009, a nearly 30,000 pound increase.

“By repurposing items through innovative programs like Green Move Out we are contributing to the social sustainability of our community,” Waskow said. “It is important that we continue to think about how we can reduce, reuse and recycle our waste throughout the entire academic year. We applaud all of those involved in making this year’s efforts come to fruition.”