Freshman Orientation Guide: The do’s and don’ts of CI

Colonial Inauguration is probably your first experience of college life, but it is important to make sure you do not abuse this freedom and get yourself in trouble even before the school year officially begins. The Hatchet has compiled a guide of things you should and should not do during your time at freshman orientation.

DON’T…

drink alcohol or do drugs. You are under the University’s Code of Student Conduct during your time at CI, and violating these rules is not the best way to start your GW career. Students have been kicked out of the University in the past for substance abuse at CI. Besides, there is plenty to do during CI to keep busy besides drinking. And trust us, you’ll drink enough during the next four years anyway.

DO…

spend your nights at the monuments. CI offers late-night monument tours, and with good reason – nighttime is the best time to see these national wonders. Visit the Washington Monument and the World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, and Franklin Delano Roosevelt memorials. Be sure to watch the sunrise on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. You can sleep when you get home.

DON’T…

skip all the small group activities and skits. The Colonial Cabinet puts a lot of time and effort into preparing for CI, and a lot of these presentations answer questions students have about the transition to college life.

DO…

check out the student organization fairs to learn the many extracurricular activities you can partake in. Sign up to be on listservs and talk to the student leaders – they have been in your shoes.

DON’T…

sign up for every single student organization whose table you visit. Trust us, you will receive e-mails from these groups throughout your entire GW career, despite never attending the groups’ meetings or events, and no matter how hard you try, you seemingly cannot get off of their e- mail lists. Instead, sign up for the groups you think you will actively participate in. Your inbox will thank you for it.

DO…

talk to people. You may meet your future best friend, room- mate or significant other at CI.

DON’T…

bring a laptop. If you really need to access a computer,

you can stop by Gelman Library. Otherwise, there is always something to do or someone to talk to during CI!

DO…

visit the Vern. Students often forget about the Mount Vernon campus, a perfect summertime picnic spot and winter wonderland. Enjoy the 15-minute Vern Express ride and check out the pool, tennis courts and the newly built Pelham Hall.

DON’T…

roam around D.C. alone in the middle of the night. While campus is pretty safe, keep in mind that you are still in a city. Make sure to head out with a group of friends at night.