Freshman Orientation Guide: Student organizations

GW has hundreds of student organizations – it is just a matter of finding your niche. Besides classes and internships, student organizations are a great way to meet new friends who share a common interest, whether you choose to rally in front of the White House or rock a stage. Peruse the following list and attend the student organization fairs at CI to figure out where you best fit in the GW community. Note: GW has hundreds of clubs so take the time to learn about as many as you can.

College Democrats and College Republicans

The College Democrats and College Republicans at GW are often reputed as the best chapters in the country. Each group organizes canvasses and various campaign trips throughout election seasons to support party candidates and host prominent speakers on campus. This past year, the CDs featured events with top political strategists David Plouffe and Terry McAuliffe, as well as former Democratic National Committee chairman Howard Dean, while the CRs welcomed South Carolina Congressman Joe Wilson and former Florida governor Jeb Bush.

Both groups also post internship opportunities for members and organize social events, from shooting-range trips with the CRs to Obama anniversary parties with the CDs. They share an office and from time to time enjoy friendly competition through debates and an annual football match.

Club sports

Sports-lovers can join club sports at GW, which take up less time and commitment than competitive teams. The Lerner Health and Wellness Center offers intramural leagues for tennis, track, soccer, basketball, and more. A new council will be fighting this year for additional resources and playing fields, so this fall will be a great time to join your favorite team.

International Affairs society

The International Affairs Society manages a Model United Nations team and brings speakers from across the globe to campus. Recently, they hosted the son of the late Shah of Iran, Reza Pahlavi.

WRGW

GW is home to nearly 2,300 Greek-letter affiliated students from a total of 41 national fraternities and sororities. Many of the Greek-letter organizations – that represent about 24 percent of the undergraduate population – engage in philanthropy and community service, along with holding a number of social events for members. If having a Greek-oriented social life does not appeal to you, check out some of the professional Greek-letter organizations, which specialize in business, foreign service, community service, and other areas.

A capella groups

Want to turn your shower singing into something more? Try out for one of GW’s many a capella groups. The Troubadors, The Pitches, The Vibes, and Sons of Pitch are just some of the singing stars at GW.

Dance teams

If the dance stage is what you crave, then check out Capital Funk, GW Raas, the First Ladies, or GW Bhangra. Capital Funk, a District hip-hip group, was founded at GW, and GW Raas has been named the best team in the country. Regardless of your ethnicity, you can try out bhangra – a traditional form of dance from the Punjab region of India and Pakistan. GW Bhangra holds Bhangra Blowout each year – one of the largest intercollegiate bhangra competitions in the country. There are also other groups that focus on ballet and jazz.

Allied in Pride

Allied in Pride members lobbied the Student Association this year for gender-neutral housing and an LGBT studies minor, while also organizing social events like a Drag Ball. They also hosted a speech by marriage equality proponent Meghan McCain, sparking protest from conservatives on campus.