Freshman Orientation Guide: Guide to residence halls

GW’s two campuses provide a wealth of housing options for incoming freshmen. Both the Foggy Bottom or Mount Vernon campuses have their own pros and cons, and there are perks to living on either campus. Regardless of the campus, GW residence halls offer students the opportunity to enjoy what both the nation’s capital and the University have to offer.

Thurston Hall:

As the largest residence hall at GW, Thurston has had a long-standing reputation as the place to party freshman year. With more than 1,000 students living in rooms that vary from doubles to six-person suites, Thurston can be a great place to meet fellow classmates and make long-standing friendships. Some students, however, are turned off by the close quarters and loud atmosphere. This fall, Thurston will house students from the Honors Program and the School of Engineering and Applied Science, among others.

Crawford Hall:

Adjacent to the Marvin Center and across the street from Kogan Plaza and Gelman Library, Crawford Hall boasts one of the best locations on campus. The residence hall houses most of its 158 students in doubles, with one quad and one single on every floor. The smaller floors give the building a more communal feel, but be forewarned, it can get noisy in the alleyways next to both sides of the building due to deliveries at the Marvin Center.

Potomac House:

Built in 2006, Potomac House is one of GW’s newer residence halls. Housing 379 students in 10 stories of doubles with adjoining bathrooms, Potomac provides a middle ground between the smaller Crawford and larger Thurston residence halls. Potomac is located on F Street, in close proximity to the Career Center and Package Services and one block from Thurston. Carvings, located on the bottom floor, offers a menu of specialty sandwiches and breakfast items.

Madison Hall:

Situated across the street from Gelman Library and next to Duques Hall – home to the School of Business – Madison Hall offers a central location for its 222 residents. Students live on eight floors with a mix of doubles, triples and quads. Some floors have community kitchens for students to utilize. Like Crawford, the smaller size of the residence hall provides a community feel for residents.

Mitchell Hall:

Located a block away from the Elliott School of International Affairs, Mitchell Hall is comprised entirely of single rooms. Students from any class year may live in the residence hall, which has a 7-Eleven on the ground floor. It is only a few blocks away from the White House, is adjacent to Thurston Hall and close to many of the monuments as well.

Pelham Hall:

The brand new Pelham Hall will house 287 freshmen and upperclassmen. Residents will live in single and double bedrooms in 4-person suites. Pelham provides several amenities for those interested in the performing arts, including a black box theater, recording studios and individual rehearsal space. Students will also have access to a new dining hall and fitness center on the bottom levels of the building. The building’s courtyard will allow students to enjoy the outdoors while studying or socializing.

Somers Hall:

Renovated in 2002, Somers is slightly smaller than Pelham, housing 246 students. Residents live in doubles with adjoining bathrooms. Located between Ames Dining Hall and Eckles Library, Somers also provides easy access to the Vern Express stop for the commute to Foggy Bottom.

Clark, Cole and Hensley halls:

These three smaller residence halls each have three floors of students living in mostly doubles, with some single rooms. Residents often develop a close sense of community in these halls due to their small size. The residence halls are located near the Vern Express stop and across the street from Post Hall, the main academic building on the Mount Vernon campus.

Merriweather Hall

Similar in size to Clark, Cole and Hensley, Merriweather Hall provides an all-female living option on the Mount Vernon campus. Forty-three students will live in double suites with shared bathrooms. Located near the athletic fields, students can enjoy the sun while watching a lacrosse or soccer game.