Freshman Orientation Guide: Arts bulletin: GW and the District

UNIVERSITY BULLETIN >> UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMS >>

ARTS

1. The general requirements of any arts-savvy or not-so-savvy student attending The George Washington University.

2. Courses are recommended from a variety of different concentrations. Exploration is highly recommended.

PREREQUISITES

020 It’s Monday.

The Hatchet’s introduction to local events for the upcoming week. Will also include good news to brighten your week. (Weekly)

030 Quicktakes

The Hatchet’s review of a variety of mediums, including local arts and music, mainstream releases and other noteworthy artists. (Weekly)

ON-CAMPUS

115 Student A Capella

Emocapella, The GW Vibes, The Sirens, Sons of Pitch, The Troubadours and The GW Pitches provide monthly performances in a variety of different styles. A must-see (or hear) for any GW student. (Fall and spring)

121 Student Theater

The Department of Theatre and Dance, Forbidden Planet Productions, Generic Theatre Company, and the Fourteenth Grade Players offer incredible student-run productions throughout the year. The Student Theatre Council provides a link between the organizations. Look out for flyers which offer event and audition information. (Fall and spring)

122 Freshman Showcase

Generic Theatre Company’s showcase for talented freshmen offers auditions at the beginning of September for the end of the month show. If you’ve got it, you might as well flaunt it. (Fall)

135 Student Dance Groups

From Aatash to Capital Funk, GW Bhangra, GW Raas, GW Ballroom, and others, a variety of different student-run dance groups provides opportunities for aspiring dancers as well as entertainment for those with two left feet. Look out for events like Bhangra Blowout and DanceWorks, which showcase college talent at its finest. (Fall and spring)

141 Lisner Downstage

With its entrance tucked on the side of Lisner Auditorium, this small black box theater offers limited seating and incredible performances. Remember to get your tickets early or be ready to wait in line for a show. (Fall and spring)

142 Smith Hall of Art

Offers student productions and art exhibits. Can be seen when walking past Phillips Hall and always offers an interesting display by our very own fine arts and art history students. (Fall and spring)

OFF-CAMPUS

150 Kennedy Center

Next door to campus, the Kennedy Center offers the perennial “Shear Madness” and other events. Also offers free events throughout the year and a great view of the city.(Fall and spring)

155 The Black Cat

Small music venue with a variety of local and international acts. On U Street, off the Green Line. All-ages. Also offers the Food for Thought Café, which stays open late.(Fall and spring)

156 9:30 Club

The mainstream sibling of the Black Cat, the 9:30 Club offers a variety of shows from big names to local D.C. artists. (Fall and spring)

160 Busboys & Poets

This venue is a bookstore meets café meets restaurant. From poetry slams to book readings and open mic nights, Busboys & Poets offers a unique experience worth trying out. Parent-worthy.(Fall and spring)

163 E Street Cinema

Local theater offering eight auditoriums featuring nationwide releases as well as independent and foreign language films for a new experience. Offers a more gourmet alternative to movie concessions.Fall and spring)

170 Independent Study

A variety of events exist throughout the city. Opportunities to learn about new experiences are hidden all throughout campus and the District. Students gain the most experience from exploring what D.C. has to offer. (Lifetime)