West End Flyer: Whole Foods negotiating Square 54 lease

The West End Flyer, a local news source, reported this month that Whole Foods Market is in negotiations to sign lease with Boston Properties to be part of the Square 54 development project. The confirmation, however, is based on an anonymous source.

Boston Properties Senior Project Manager Jake Stroman told the Flyer that a lease signing is at least two weeks away and only one grocery is currently in discussions with Boston Properties.

A grocery store is mandated in the mixed-use development property at 2200 Pennsylvania Ave., but Stroman would not say which grocery chain is in negotiations, citing a confidentiality agreement. The Flyer said a “source closely connected with the negotiations” confirmed that Whole Foods Market was negotiating.

Since construction began on Square 54, residents  have been curious to know what supermarket chain would come to the neighborhood.

In February 2009, the Washington Business Journal reported Giant Food was close to signing a lease with Boston Properties. The Flyer reported that Stroman said of the Giant Food rumor, “It has sort of switched horses now.”

The Watergate Safeway and a Trader Joe’s at 25th and L streets  are the closest grocery chains to GW’s Foggy Bottom campus. Construction on the Square 54 project is expected to be complete in early 2011.