Engineering in period of growth, dean says

Dean of the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences David Dolling reminded graduates that engineers and computer scientists are in high demand, during his address at the SEAS graduation ceremony Saturday evening in the Smith Center.

Dolling said graduates will enter the world during a period of growth for engineering, which demand the skills students learned through SEAS.

“There is no doubt we are living in exciting times for engineering and technology,” Dolling said. “The explosion in computer power and sophisticated engineering, combined with the brain power of newly minted engineers and scientists, makes possible what we could only dream about a few years ago.”

During the speech, Dolling also emphasized the school’s diversity – 30 percent of engineering students are women, he said.

Guest speaker Dr. Vincent Poor, dean of engineering and applied science at Princeton University, also addressed the graduates, telling them their degrees are extremely valuable in the job market.

He advised graduates to use their knowledge and problem-solving skills to find solutions to major challenges facing society, like sustainable energy and affordable health care.

“Those graduating today are entering the field of engineering at a very exciting time, and one at which the need for top engineering talent is greater than perhaps at any time in human history,” Poor said. “Many, if not most, of the world’s most pressing opportunities have major technological dimensions, and engineers are the agents of change in addressing these challenges.”

Around 400 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral candidates received diplomas during the two hour-long ceremony. The Smith Center was packed with energetic relatives and friends who cheered and photographed their loved ones as their names were called.