Class of 2014’s yield rate highest in recent history

The incoming freshman class of 2014 will boast the highest yield rate in recent memory, a University official said last week.

The University’s yield rate – or the percentage of admitted students who submit deposits to attend GW – increased to 37.4 percent this year, with 2,500 of the 6,670 admitted students submitting deposits, Kathryn Napper, executive dean of undergraduate admissions said. Earlier this year, Napper predicted a 35 percent yield rate for the class of 2014, making this year’s yield rate surpass her estimate by nearly 2.5 percentage points.

Last year, 36 percent of the 7,290 students accepted to the University submitted deposits for the class of 2013.

Despite accepting a record-low 31 percent of applicants, this is the second year in a row the University saw an increased yield rate.

“Given the downturn in the economy, the healthy 37.4 percent yield rate illustrates GW’s wide appeal and strong reputation,” Napper said in a news release.

The University also saw a dramatic increase in the average SAT score of students who submitted deposits, which jumped 5 percentage points to an all-time high of 1960.

“The Class of 2014 will be the most talented and academically qualified in University history,” Napper said.

The University also expects to retain most of its deposited students.

“With this strong return on our acceptances, and accounting for students who may defer or withdraw, the University is expected to enroll between 2,350 and 2,390 freshmen this fall,” Napper said.

Incoming freshman Danny Wein from Highland Park, Ill. said the numbers indicate GW is becoming more popular among high school students.

“The increases mean that a lot of students are recognizing the unique opportunities that GW offers,” Wein said. “Not only as an awesome school in the city, but as a great academic institution in Washington, D.C.”

Dean of Freshman Fred Siegel said the increase in yield and the decrease in acceptance rate are a “huge boost” for GW’s reputation.

“It’s spectacular,” Siegel said. “It’s really a credit to what you all do. People look at ranking and statistics-a reputation that is buttressed by real data is important.”