Sophomore dies after fall from fifth floor window

A 20-year-old male fell from the fifth floor of Guthridge Hall Saturday morning. Michelle Rattinger/Photo Editor

Update 10:26 a.m. Sunday

President Steven Knapp told the audience at this morning’s University-wide Commencement ceremony that sophomore Taylor Hubbard died Sunday after falling from a residence hall window Saturday morning.

“Our hearts go out to his family and his many friends in the George Washington community,” Knapp said.

A moment of silence was held before Knapp continued his remarks.

Update 7 p.m. Saturday

University spokeswoman Candace Smith confirmed Saturday evening that the 20-year-old student who fell from a fifth floor window in Guthridge Hall is biomedical engineering student Taylor Hubbard.

Hubbard,  a sophomore, was brought to GW Hospital with “multiple internal injuries,” according to a police report ascertained by The Hatchet Saturday evening. The police report classified the incident as not suspicious.

University President Steven Knapp went Saturday afternoon to visit the family, Smith said. Smith added that the incident was still under investigation.

Saturday:

A 20-year-old sophomore was critically injured after a fall from a fifth floor Guthridge Hall window Saturday at 4 a.m., a University official confirmed Saturday afternoon.

The male student was transported to the GW Hospital after the fall, University spokeswoman Candace Smith said. She directed all further questions to the Metropolitan Police Department. The Metropolitan Police Department and University Police Department are investigating the fall.

Smith declined to release the name of the student citing federal privacy laws. Nicole Pokryfka, a spokesperson for the GW Hospital said Saturday evening that she could not confirm or deny that the student was brought to the hospital. She added that no medical information could be released without consent from the patient’s family.

Senior Jenn Choi said she was walking back to South Hall when she and her friends found a male sprawled out on the grass in Guthridge Park.

“As we were walking along the way we saw this guy who was face up on the grass and we thought maybe he was just drunk and we kind of looked to see if he was ok,” Choi said. “But then we realized he was erratically breathing and that his wrist was swollen and he had cuts on his arm, and then we realized we had to call 911 or EMeRG.”

Choi said no one claiming they knew the victim showed up to the scene while emergency responders were there.

D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services spokesman Pete Piringer said D.C. Fire responded to the call at around 4:25 a.m.

“The individual was transported to the GW Hospital with priority one injuries, which means they are serious and life threatening,” Piringer said.

“We did respond, we did transport somebody, and their injuries were serious,” Piringer added.

Guthridge Hall is located on the 2100 block of F Street but the student is not a resident of Guthridge Hall. No windows in Guthridge Hall appeared damaged and no rooms on the fifth floor had police tape Saturday afternoon. According to students, windows in Guthridge Hall can be fully opened and screens are often easily removed.

President Steven Knapp told students Saturday morning during the Interfaith Baccalaureate ceremony that a student fell and to “keep that student in our thoughts and prayers.”