Crime reports show spike in iPhone robberies

Overall crime in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood decreased this year in comparison to last year, but trends show a spike in Apple iPhone robberies.

Metropolitan Police Department Commander Matthew Klein said total robberies in Foggy Bottom, part of the Second District, are down but, according to MPD data provided by Klein, as of May 11 the number of unarmed robberies increased by 39 percent this month compared to a year ago.

Klein offered GW students the same advice he gives to the general public – to avoid walking around at night while on a cell phone.

“This [iPhone] device is very attractive to thieves,” Klein said. “Sometimes, walking and being fully engrossed on the cell phone takes away from paying attention to surroundings.”

He also warned against leaving cell phones on tables at restaurants, an act which could draw thieves.

A female was allegedly robbed near the GW Hospital in January while talking on her cell phone before a thief snatched it and ran away.

Feb 24, a female was allegedly robbed of an iPhone at 22nd  and H streets. Another man was allegedly robbed of a cell phone earlier that day at 25th  and I streets.

Klein said the increase in iPhone robberies has been particularly noticeable in the Dupont Circle and Georgetown neighborhoods though total crime is down 16 percent this year.