Ticket sales lag for Grad Week events

Less than a quarter of tickets available for the annual Atlantic City trip have been sold, a University official said last week.

As of May 6, only 30 of the 131 available tickets were purchased, Grad Week coordinator Mayra Espinoza said.

Although sales have been lagging, Espinoza said she expects to see a boost in sales once students are free from finals.

“Students are currently focused on completing final exams and they will think about participation in Grad Week activities [later],” Espinoza said.

The Atlantic City trip is part of Grad Week, a week-long series of events planned by the Student Activities Center leading up to graduation. The events are meant for seniors to bond and create a few final memories with their classmates before donning their caps and gowns and leaving GW, Espinoza said.

“The events that allow graduating students to share fun and social moments with their peers have been incredibly popular in the past,” Espinoza said. “After this, they won’t have the opportunity to be surrounded by their peers in such close proximity.”

Included in this year’s festivities are a barbecue, a Mount Vernon campus visit, a senior night at McFadden’s, and several receptions for students and parents.

Ticket sales for other Grad Week events, including Monumental Celebration – an annual party for graduates and their parents held at Union Station – have also been lagging. Only 600 tickets had been sold for the event as of May 6. More than 1,000 tickets were sold for the event last year, and more than 2,000 total tickets were sold the year before that. Ticket sales may increase between May 6 and the celebration as seniors can purchase tickets up until the day of the event.

Tickets cost $30 and participants will receive coin and food vouchers worth $20.