Staff editorial: Expanding the Office of Sustainability

The Hatchet’s editorial board urges the University to further the role of the Office of Sustainability so that GW can reach its green goals.

Over the last two years, the University has increasingly emphasized its desire to be a sustainable college, but because GW failed to fill out a survey provided by the Princeton Review, GW was not recognized on the list of most sustainable colleges. This absence is an embarrassment for GW, and is also an indicator of the need for an increased role for the Office of Sustainability.

Not being included on the list of the 286 Green Colleges is disconcerting because the rankings represent a chance for the University to publicize its efforts to be sustainable. Though the error may have been the result of a miscommunication between the Office of Admissions and the Office of Sustainability, GW missed an opportunity to highlight its hard work. It also draws attention to the current role of the Office of Sustainability and its resources.

As it stands, the Office of Sustainability has three employees, according to the office’s website. Created in the fall of 2008, the office is tasked with implementing the suggestions of the Task Force on Sustainability while working to create a climate neutrality plan.