Softball snaps skid in senior day twin-bill

The GW softball team’s double header Saturday against the Dayton Flyers was bittersweet for Colonial seniors Amanda Holst and Elisa Van Kirk in more ways than one. Not only was it their last game in a GW uniform, but their team split its final double header, snapping a 13-game losing streak with a 7-5 victory in game one before losing 11-0 in game two.

The Colonials (6-39, 3-17 A-10) were strong offensively in their first game, scoring five runs in the first three innings to outpace the Flyers. Freshman Julie Orlandi led GW at the plate in game one, going 2-for-4 with an RBI from the leadoff spot Saturday. Van Kirk also hit well in her second-to-last game as a Colonial, driving in a pair of runs and taking two walks in the first game against the Flyers.

“I thought we executed well on offense,” said GW head coach Kim Staehle. “It was an entire team effort in the first game, and I thought it was really impressive that we could turn it around at this point in the season.”

After breaking out for seven runs in game one, GW’s offensive struggles returned for game two. The Colonials managed just two hits in the second game, including one from Holst, and were unable to advance a runner past second base.

“Consistency has been something we’ve struggled with throughout the season,” Staehle said. “We just need to learn to step up in certain situations. Defensively, we just weren’t as sharp as that first game.”

While GW struggled at the plate, Dayton excelled in the second game, scoring in every inning except one en route to an 11-run, 12-hit game two.

After the game, Van Kirk, who will be a graduate assistant softball coach at Smith College in Northampton, Mass. next year, said while her team had struggled in her final season, she would leave the program with positive memories.

“You don’t necessarily remember all the games, but I remember all my teammates,” the senior center fielder said. “I just wanted to do the best I could for them today and then go out not having any regrets.”

For Holst, moving on past her career at GW will be difficult.

“It’s such a big part of your life. It’s four years, the vast majority of your time every day,” she said. “It’s bittersweet. Exciting to grow on and move up, but it’s the end of college, this is it.”

As Holst and Van Kirk reminisced about their GW careers, Staehle said she was already looking forward to next season.

“Next year, I want to take what we learned this season and come in ready to kick butt,” Staehle said. “Let’s come back in better shape and come back ready to do some damage in our conference.”