Senior Stories: Stephanie Moser: The interesting intern

It’s hard to believe that for School of Business student Stephanie Moser, taking advantage of D.C.’s professional opportunities was once a daunting task after a quiet freshman year living on the Mount Vernon campus.

“At first I just thought I would never understand how to get around,” Moser said. “I was kind of nervous about that. I would definitely plan out the routes I wanted to walk.”

But now, Moser has found her way around campus and the District after a long list of internships to enhance her degree in business administration.

Moser’s first internship during her sophomore year was in the worldwide sales office of Georgetown’s Four Seasons Hotel.

“It…was just a kind of introductory internship,” Moser said. Before studying abroad her junior year, Moser also managed to cram in three more internships at the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, Interfolio and Choice Hotels International.

The internships went on hold when Moser studied abroad in Paris and Denmark.

“The first program I did was in Paris. All of our classes were at Sciences Po.” Moser said. “I wanted to be in Europe so I’d be able to travel in different places too.”

After experiencing many of GW’s opportunities, Moser became involved as a mentor for current School of Business freshman. She also served as president of business fraternity Delta Sigma Pi during the past academic year.

Moser, originally from Annapolis, Md., said these opportunities were a major reason she came to GW in the first place.

“I think as I’ve gone from freshman upward, you start to realize how much more is in D.C. than just GW. That’s what I really liked about being here,” she said.

The only downside to Moser’s internships was dealing with her tongue and multiple ear piercings, as well as a tattoo on her ankle.

“It wasn’t like I didn’t fit in, but I was only supposed to just have my lobes pierced and no visible tattoos,” Moser said.

After sweating through tights during a hot D.C. summer to hide her tattoo, Moser gave up on hiding it.

“No one seemed to notice unless I pointed at the floor,” she said. “So I try not to do that too much.”

In addition to her internships and extra-curricular activities, Moser is also involved with preparing for Dean Susan Phillips’ retirement.

“I’m involved with the selection of the new Dean of the School of Business this year,” she said, adding jokingly, “So you know, I do just a few little things.”