Community, University celebrate FoBoGro grand opening

After more than three years of planning and preparation, the creators of the updated Foggy Bottom Grocery – known as FoBoGro – celebrated with a grand opening party Friday afternoon.

Free beer, wine and food drew about 200 people to the event, which recognized many in the District who contributed to the business, including GW and city officials.

“Every community member who comes in here loves it, they’re so excited to have a corner store here where we sell as much as we do,” Kris Hart, co-owner and CEO of FoBoGro, said.

“Who wouldn’t love a good thing, where you’re remaking the building that was useless and was completely debilitated, and made it into something amazing?” Hart said.

The event was kicked off by remarks from Hart, as well as by people who Hart acknowledged as instrumental in the creation of FoBoGro, including D.C. councilmember Kwame Brown, Student Association President Jason Lifton and members of the D.C. Chamber of Commerce.

“It’s a great thing for the District of Columbia. I think Kris has the support of the majority of the community,” Michael Akin, assistant vice president for Government, International and Community Relations, said on behalf of the University.

During the celebration, Hart cut a red ribbon in front of FoBoGro surrounded by co-owners and community officials like Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2A Chair Rebecca Coder.

“I’m so happy to see his dream realized,” Coder said of Hart.

FoBoGro faced opposition from some neighborhood residents due to its operating hours and questions over whether the selling of prepared foods violated zoning laws. In spite of these challenges, FoBoGro was able to open in March.

“He’s a good small business owner. he reached out to us,” Coder said of Hart. “The ANC was very happy to be able to support him.”

Friday’s good weather and festivities brought many students and residents to Anniversary Park, next door to FoBoGro on F Street. The free cotton candy, popcorn and dunk tank gave the event a carnival-esqe atmosphere, with light jazz playing in the background.

Staff members worked to replenish the free drinks and FoBoGro sandwiches that drew many to the event.

“Since it was in the middle of finals, it was nice to just take a break,” said senior Grace Troxel, adding the event was “a good way to end the year and [it] creates greater outreach to the community.”

Hart said his business and the opening event help to energize Foggy Bottom.

“We need to liven this area of the neighborhood, and that’s what we’re trying to do,” Hart said.