Sports in Brief

Softball swept over weekend

The GW softball team was held scoreless in all four of its games over the weekend, losing 3-0 and 1-0 to Saint Joseph’s Friday and Saturday and 10-0 and 4-0 to Temple Sunday.

On Friday, Saint Joseph’s pitcher Erin Gallagher’s bid for a no-hitter was broken up in the sixth inning by freshman Julie Orlandi’s bunt single. Saturday, the Hawks’ only run came from a home run from Saint Joseph’s senior Brooke Darreff.

Senior Amanda Holst was the only GW player to get a hit in both games against Temple Sunday, singling in the third inning of the first game and in the seventh inning the second contest. Junior Katie Terrazas got the only other hit for GW against the Owls, a single in the first inning of game one.

The losses move GW’s current losing streak to 10, including a six game skid in conference play. The Colonials will be back in action this Wednesday in Fairfax, Va. against George Mason. First pitch is set for 5 p.m.

Men’s rowing tops Georgetown

The men’s rowing team took first in its meet Saturday against Rutgers and Georgetown in Piscataway, N.J. The Colonials won two of three races, beating out Georgetown for first in both varsity eight-man races. GW’s victories over the Hoyas also clinched a second straight George Cup for the team, the trophy handed out annually to the winner of races between GW and Georgetown. The Colonials will be back on the water next Saturday in Boston against Boston University, beginning at 8 a.m.

Women’s water polo falls to Terps

Women’s water polo closed its season Sunday with a 15-7 loss to Maryland in the third place game of the College Water Polo Association Southern Division Championship. GW hung with the Terrapins through one quarter, trailing by only two after the first period. But Maryland outscored the Colonials 6-2 in the second quarter to put away GW before halftime.

Senior Marissa Stamler netted a hat trick in her final game for the Colonials and senior Tara Sullivan added two more goals to go with her three assists. The Colonials were relegated to the third-place game after their first-round 10-2 loss to Bucknell University Sunday eliminated them from championship contention.