Hundreds of high school seniors visit campus on April Visit days

Throughout the month of April, GW students have played host and shared the campus with 1,360 high school seniors touring the school as admitted students, a University official said this week.

These select days of tours and University-sponsored events are known as April Visit Days, and while they increase the campus population for a few hours, they also aim to help prospective students make their decision in favor of GW, Executive Dean for Undergraduate Admissions Kathryn Napper said.

“It’s wonderful to meet with admitted students and their parents as they visit our two campuses while making a final college decision. We receive great support from faculty and current students in making these visit days a meaningful experience for admitted students,” Napper said.

“I’m really impressed with everything,” said Drew Skrainka, 18, from St. Louis, Mo. “We’ve only been here a few days, but so far, it’s been pretty sweet.”

Other prospective students felt similarly. They praised the tour guides and the friendliness of the students, as well as the efforts taken by the University to provide information, such as a presentation in Lisner Auditorium and lunch on the Mount Vernon campus.

“It was very organized, and everyone was really open,” said Ben Majkszak, 18, from New Jersey.

Majkszak, who toured the campus on April 12, said he was deciding between GW and two other schools.

The University organized academic advisor meetings and offered tours of freshman residence halls on both the Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon campuses, including the not yet opened Pelham Hall.

The schedule closed with a student panel discussing campus organizations, study abroad programs and internships.

“The amount of opportunity here is incredible,” Majkszak said. “I like the fact that internships are so important.”

Other students, like Alex Martin of Seattle, Wash., also praised the University’s academic opportunities.

“I’m interested in international relations and political science,” he said. “The programs here are really good, and the location is ideal.”

Martin, 19, opted to spend the night with a current freshman during his visit. He stayed in one of the suite-style rooms in Potomac House.

“From what I’ve seen, the dorms seem really nice,” he said. “People generally get along with each other.”

While other prospective students noted the community feeling on campus, they agreed the major draw was the University’s location in D.C.

“I like it a lot, mainly because it’s in the city,” said Roshan Patel, 17, of Maryland. “I’m probably going to go here.”

Sarah Vano, 17, of Meriden, Conn. agreed. “It’s the best urban campus I’ve seen.”

Vano said she is 95 percent certain she will attend GW, though she is worried about the distance from home.

Other students like Majkszak and Martin voiced their concerns over the lack of traditional campus and the size of the student body.

“There’s the tiny fear that maybe the urban setting could overwhelm me,” said Martin.