Two tenants sign with Square 54

A bank and a sandwich shop have signed leases to be part of the retail space in the development at 2200 Pennsylvania Ave. known as Square 54.

NIH Federal Credit Union and eatery Devon & Blakely will join the building, Boston Properties Senior Project Manager Jake Stroman said in an e-mail April 16. The bank has multiple branches, including one on Pennsylvania Avenue near campus.

The leases join a law firm and a “confidential tenant” in the mixed-use commercial and residential property, Stroman said.

“The remainder of the retail space located in the project is currently under ‘letter of intent’ and lease negotiations are ongoing,” Stroman added.

Devon & Blakely serves mainly soups, salads and sandwiches. In D.C., the chain currently has one location at 15th and H streets NW, with more locations in New York City.

Spokespersons for the retail tenants could not be reached for comment. Stroman said Devon & Blakely’s lease was signed in October 2009 and that NIH signed recently, but he did not know the exact date.

In fall 2008, law firm Hunton & Williams was the first company announced as a leasee in the Square 54 development.

The firm is leasing 190,000 square feet of the 450,000 total square feet of commercial office space.

The grocery store planned to be in Square 54 still remains unknown. In February 2009, the Washington Business Journal reported that Giant Food Supermarkets was close to signing a lease with Boston Properties, the site’s developer, but Stroman has not confirmed that information.

“Boston Properties is currently in lease negotiations with a grocery store,” Stroman said. “Unfortunately, until such time as the lease is signed, I cannot comment.” Square 54 has undergone dramatic changes during the spring semester.

The residential component has “topped out,” Stroman said, meaning construction has reached the top level of the building. Currently exterior bricks and windows are being installed on the property. Mechanical, electrical and plumbing work continues across the property.

“This will likely be the same update for a few months,” Stroman said.