Russian president attends concert in Lisner Auditorium

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, second from right, exits Lisner Auditorium Tuesday evening. Chris Gregory/Hatchet photographer

Update 9:53 p.m.

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev was seen exiting Lisner Auditorium at around 9:40 p.m. Tuesday night, after he attended a concert by a Russian band, eyewitnesses confirm.

H Street was closed between 21st and 22nd streets and a motorcade adorned with Russian flags was parked along the north side of the auditorium while the leader watched the performance.

A crowd of more than 100 people gathered around the building, wrapping around the corner of H Street, at the Marvin Center, and across the street from Lisner, hoping to catch a glimpse of the Russian figurehead.

More than a dozen vehicles and numerous officials comprised the motorcade, though officials on H Street would not say why they were on campus. A Russian rock band called Time Machine was currently playing in the auditorium, according to the Lisner Web site.

“A crowd of agents rushed out and he waved to the crowd,” said Luke Rosenbloom, a sophomore who waited outside of the auditorium to see the Russian president. “Everyone cheered. I think this represents the GW experience.”

Medvedev is in town for a global summit on nuclear security, which has brought many dignitaries to the District and snarled traffic across the city.

University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard did not answer a phone call late Tuesday evening.

Junior Kelsey King said she was extremely excited to potentially see the Russian leader exit the auditorium.

“I’m a huge Russian nerd and I’m studying abroad in St. Petersburg. I’m legitimately the biggest Russian nerd in the Universe so I’m incredibly excited,” King said.

Priya Anand contributed to this report.