Women’s tennis topples Towson in home finale

It had been an up-and-down season for the GW women’s tennis team, but the Colonials made sure senior Michele Style went out in a victorious fashion with a 7-0 win over Towson Sunday in their final home match of the season.

Style, the team’s lone senior, was honored with a pre-match bouquet of flowers as part of a Senior Day celebration and won her No. 1 doubles match 8-4 with freshman Mimi Hamling as part of the Colonials’ sweep, which snapped a three-match losing streak.

GW did not drop a single set in the day’s action. Junior Jennifer Hirsch won her No. 4 singles match 6-1, 6-0, and sophomore Meg Tyner took her No. 5 match 6-0, 6-0.

As the nearly four-hour event progressed, a relatively large crowd of a few dozen supporters stuck around for most of the matches. It was also Kids Day, meaning many small children were running around outside of the courts as they awaited their chance to play with some of the team members.

“We had a really good turnout today,” Style said.

The matches also allowed the team to prepare for the upcoming Atlantic 10 tournament, which will be hosted by Saint Louis April 23-25. Head coach Dawn Buth said the team will be get ready through “pressure-situation types of practice,” but Style already seemed confident the team will be composed and prepared to go deep in the postseason.

“We’re obviously going to win the A-10 tournament,” Style said.

When the season does conclude, Buth said she has high hopes for the future, citing two or three incoming recruits that will be joining the squad.

“We’ll be stronger next year,” she said.

GW will conclude its regular season next Saturday at UMBC at 11 a.m. before heading to the postseason.