Women’s lacrosse triumphs in triple OT

With just over three minutes to play in Sunday’s women’s lacrosse game versus La Salle, La Salle midfielder Melanie Sarcinello scored a goal to tie the game at six. The GW defense had allowed two goals in the final 10 minutes, despite having one of its best games of the season.

“[La Salle] started to go to the goal a little bit harder and did a good job of isolating our players,” GW Head Coach Tara Hannaford said.”They were smart and were able to capitalize.”

After 60 minutes of regulation and two overtimes, neither team had managed to put the other away, and it wasn’t until there were just two minutes left in the third extra period that GW finally sealed its victory over the explorers on a put-back goal that freshman Nicole Lacey scored off of a miss by sophomore Megan Seidman.

The 7-6 upset victory over previously undefeated-in-conference La Salle marks the Colonials’ (4-10, 2-3 Atlantic 10) second consecutive win following a six-game losing streak that dated back to March 10. On Friday, GW defeated Saint Joseph’s 11-9 on Senior Day, the team’s final home game.

While the defense’s season-best six goals allowed on Sunday was crucial in the GW win at La Salle, it was the offense that clicked for the Colonials on Friday, highlighted by six goals in the first 16 minutes of the game.

“I think we came out with a lot of energy, we had some younger guys on the field today, and I think they brought their youth and rejuvenated some of the upperclassmen,” Hannaford said after Friday’s game. “The upperclassmen played phenomenally today. They were ready for senior day, and they took it with energy.”

In particular, Hanaford pointed to the efforts of seniors Katelyn Langs, Taylor Donohue and Kelsey Honeyford as playing major roles in GW’s success.

“They’re huge, they set the tempo for this team,” Hannaford said of the trio. “The leadership they bring on this team, they’re gonna carry us to the next three wins hopefully. Taylor runs the attack, Langs is controlling the midfield, and Kelsey controls the defense. So they’re huge for us.”

Other top performers from the weekend included freshman Abby Sneeringer, who had four goals and two assists combined in the two games and sophomore Sarah Phillips who had two goals and five assists. Junior goalie Liz Hoffman also had a strong weekend, saving 17 shots over the two-game span.

With GW’s first set of consecutive wins this season finally in the books, Hannaford attributed her team’s improved play on the field to stronger team chemistry.

“I think we’ve clicked a little better on the field, and they really have been supporting each other a lot better,” Hannaford said. “They’re definitely clicking and things are finally going right for us.”

The Colonials will try to extend their winning streak to three this Friday when they travel to Olean, N.Y. to play St. Bonaventure. Face-off is set for 3 p.m.