Softball ends losing streak

The GW softball team snapped a pair of dubious streaks ending an eight-game scoring draught in an extra-inning loss to Mount St. Mary’s Thursday and a 14-game losing streak Saturday at St. Bonaventure.

The Colonials (5-25, 2-8 Atlantic 10) were shut out 8-0 by the Mount in the first game of Thursday’s home doubleheader, but rallied to force an eighth inning in the second game when freshman Sandi Moynihan hit a two-run homerun to tie the game at four. A double and a single from consecutive Mount St. Mary’s batters in the eighth doomed GW, however, and sent the team to another loss.

GW would again do better in the second end of a twin bill Saturday at St. Bonaventure, when the Colonials fell 1-0 in the day’s first game. Freshman Elaine Nescio mostly shut down the Bonnies’ bats, allowing just two hits and one walk, but the lone unearned run she surrendered proved the difference.

It was the second game that saw the Colonials’ first win since March 17, as junior Katie Terrazas hit a two-run homerun to put GW ahead in the third inning. The Colonials added insurance runs when Nescio bunted in pinch-runner Amanda Zakeri in the fourth and Kristi Saporito scored on an error in the seventh to give the team its 4-3 victory. Sophomore pitcher Kara Clauss earned the win, her fourth of the year.

GW will return home to host George Mason Wednesday at 4 p.m.