Making the cut: Looking at D.C. hair salons

Many students have that one salon or barbershop at home they return to incessantly for its consistent and reliable service. With a multitude of hairdressers in the District, though, deciding where to get a trim at school may be difficult. The Hatchet surveyed local salons to find some of the best options for students in need of the perfect cut.

Bubbles Hair Salon

This hotspot, part of a chain in the D.C. Metropolitan Area, is located just a few blocks from campus, making it one of the most conveniently located of Washington’s hair salons. With its trendy, relaxed atmosphere, Bubbles is a prime choice for college students and busy professionals alike. It has also been home to some of fashion’s biggest up-and-coming players – Christian Siriano of Project Runway used to work at one of the salon’s other locations. An attentive staff asks questions along the way, ensuring that clients leave the shop satisfied. The best part? No appointment is necessary.

Price: $35 to $40 for wash, cut and style (GWorld accepted)

Services: Cuts, styling, coloring, treatment, texture, and waxing

Location: 2020 K St. NW

Aveda Lifestyle Salon & Spa

Next door to some of the best shopping D.C. has to offer, Aveda stands out as a luxury salon experience. But make sure to have an appointment, as the Georgetown salon fills up quickly on weekends due to its popularity and array of services provided. Among these are manicures and pedicures, in addition to traditional haircuts. For those interested in highlights, Aveda provides a color chart with hair samples. One downside is the steep prices that run upwards of $50. Students can get around the price on Mondays, however, when the salon offers a 20 percent student discount on all hair services and massages (just make to sure to bring a GWorld card).

Price: $50 to $90 for wash, cut and style; $50 to $70 for coloring (by appointment only)

Services: Cuts, styling, coloring, scalp treatment and permanent treatment

Location: 1325 Wisconsin Ave. NW

Salon Blu

The stylish, contemporary design and soothing ambiance at this Logan Circle hair salon makes clients feel at ease when they come for a cut. The staff’s personal touch is evident as special attention is paid to everyone who walks in the door. Even the owner’s dog, Hudson, occasionally shows up to greet customers. Having recently moved to its current location, the new Salon Blu is considered to be a marked improvement over its previous incarnation. Clients are encouraged to make an appointment beforehand to ensure they receive the full Salon Blu experience.

Price: $40 to $50 for men’s cut and style; $50 to $70 for women’s cut, blow-dry and style

Services: Cuts, styling, coloring, waxing and treatment

Location: 1339 14th St. NW

Salon Rouge

Formally known as Subairi, Salon Rouge is an up-and-coming salon with a fun and bright vibe. Located near Dupont Circle, its stylish red walls give a hint to the modern ambiance that predominates inside. The staff are known for being friendly, professional and chic, and pay close attention to what clients are looking for. Stylists may even suggest bringing in a photo to make a request clear. In addition to haircuts, Salon Rouge recently expanded to include skin care services so clients can have a full spa experience. Plus, the moderate prices allow students to get a new, trendy hairstyle without breaking the bank.

Price: $30 to $40 for men’s cut and style; $45 to $65 for women’s cut and style

Services: Cuts, styling, coloring, texture, and extensions

Location: 1636 17th St. NW

Youri Hair Salon

Just a hop, skip and a jump away from the Farragut West Metro station, Youri Hair Salon is a fun outlet that will leave students with smiles and a great haircut to boot. Youri and his staff are experts at their craft while being friendly and customer-oriented at the same time. One special service the salon offers is the Japanese Hair Straightening treatment. Although it is a bit expensive, this treatment leaves a strong and lasting style that is guaranteed to turn heads.

Price: $35 to $75 for cut and style

Services: Cuts, styling, coloring, perms, treatment, and extensions

Location: 1800 I St. NW