District Roundup-Week of April 5

Obama pitches for the Nationals

On Monday President Barack Obama not only participated in the White House Easter Egg Roll, but he threw the first pitch at Nationals Park for Opening Day. DCist has the details on the event, and for those who didn’t get to miss class or work for the game, check out video of the President’s pitch. Unfortunately for the home team, the Phillies beat the Nationals 11-1. This year marks the 100th anniversary of the first presidential Opening Day pitch, which was thrown by President William Howard Taft in 1910.

Vincent Gray allegations cleared up

On Wednesday, complaints concerning GW alumnus and current D.C. Council Chairman Vincent Gray were dimissed by the Office of Campaign Finance, Washington City Paper reported. Gray recently announced he’s running for mayor, but questions were raised previously over his use of a major city developer for repairs on his home and a letter Gray sent to Comcast in 2008 using D.C. Council stationery. The inquiry found that Gray paid fair market value for the repairs and that his requesting Comcast’s support of D.C. voting rights was within his duties as chairman.

Supreme Court justice announces retirement

On Friday, Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens announced that he will retire this summer. The search is now on for the next judge to sit on the country’s highest court. Stevens is the longest-serving member of the court and a liberal. This will be the second nomination to the Supreme Court for President Obama, after selecting Sonia Sotomayor to replace Justice David Souter last year. The New York Times has profiles of possible candidates to replace Stevens.