Good Stuff Eatery plans to open pizza restaurant

Correction appended

Good Stuff Eatery – a restaurant known for its handmade burgers, fries and milkshakes – will soon open a new restaurant. The owners also plan to expand within the next year to different parts of the District that may include Foggy Bottom.

The new venture, called We the Pizza, will be located next door to Good Stuff’s current location near Capitol Hill. Future Good Stuff locations are still in the planning stages.

“We the Pizza is opening up early May. It will be New York-stylish pizza. All the ingredients will be very seasonal and fresh,” said Michael Colletti, one of Good Stuff’s top chefs.

He and Spike Mendelsohn, a former contestant on Bravo’s Top Chef Chicago, opened Good Stuff Eatery in 2008. Mendelsohn can often be seen at the restaurant serving up burgers in his signature fedora.

Mendelsohn’s family is very active in the business. His mother, Catherine Mendelsohn, is director of operations for Good Stuff.

She said the We the Pizza concept cost more than $1 million, and the restaurant occupies 5,000 square feet.

“It is a collaborative effort from the Sunny Side Group,” Catherine Mendelsohn said, referencing the team that owns both restaurants.

“We are very passionate about great food and the power of community and the freshness of our local ingredients. We are very involved in charitable organizations in our community and they will be very prevalent in our restaurant,” she said.

Those groups include the D.C. Central Kitchen, Kipp Academy, first lady Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move initiative combating childhood obesity, VSA Arts, and Horton’s Kids.

“Through our restaurant we want to bring more awareness to [these organizations] and generally to the concept of ‘we,’ which is the community-minded spirit,” Catherine Mendelsohn said.

Although the group said their plan to expand Good Stuff Eatery in a new location is still in the early stages, they are looking to put the restaurant in different areas of the city, including Bethesda, Foggy Bottom and Dupont Circle.

“We want to expand and bring healthy comfort food to different neighborhoods across America,” said Micheline Mendelsohn, director of marketing at Good Stuff Eatery and Spike Mendelsohn’s sister.

“People love the concept and we have a lot of customers from all over the area. I think that they would enjoy having our restaurant closer to them,” she added.

Despite Good Stuff’s counter service and reasonable prices, Catherine Mendelsohn said the food is of a high quality.

“We do quick-service restaurants, but we do it with all high-end chefs. I think that is what is very distinctive of our restaurant group,” Catherine said.

Colletti first met Spike Mendelsohn at LeCirque, a high-end restaurant in New York.

“We work very well together. We moved down here two summers ago and opened up Good Stuff Eatery,” Colletti said.

“We are two very experienced guys. We have worked in fine dining restaurants our whole lives and it is cool that we work now in a restaurant that gives people food they can afford every day. It is very hip, casual food. We want to give casual food a high-end touch,” he said.

Correction appended (April 8, 2010)

The article originally stated that the Le Cirque restaurant was located in France.</em