Farmers market to reopen this week

The farmers market located behind GW Hospital will reopen for the season this Wednesday, April 7.

The Foggy Bottom Farmers Market, established in 2005, will stay open every Wednesday from 3 to 7 p.m. until Nov. 24.

Though the market is opening a half hour later than it did last year, shopping options will remain similar to other years’ options. Atwater’s Bakery, Blueberry Hill, Bonaparte Breads, Chris’ Marketplace, Lynnvale Flowers, Quaker Valley Farm & Orchards, and Sunnyside Farm & Orchards will return to the weekly market.

New vendors this year include Cavanna Pasta, Gunpowder Bison and Haskins Family Farm, according to the Web site for FRESHFARM Markets, a group that organizes this and other farmers markets in the D.C. area.

Items at the market include fresh flowers, fruits, organic meats, and desserts. The market, which last year hosted professional chef demonstrations on the first Wednesday of each month, is set up near the Foggy Bottom Metro, on I Street between New Hampshire Avenue and 24th Street.

Other local farmers markets include one in Dupont Circle, located on the 1500 block of 20th Street, that is open Sundays between April and December from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

The farmers market near the White House, at 810 Vermont Ave., does not open until May 6 and will operate Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.