Alumnus Vincent Gray kicks off mayoral campaign

Vincent Gray
D.C. Council Chairman Vincent Gray speaks to reporters outside the Reeves Municipal Center after filing paperwork to begin his campaign for mayor March 30. Chris Gregory/Assistant photo editor

This post was written by Hatchet Reporter Erica Obersi

D.C. Council Chairman and GW alumnus  Vincent Gray announced his candidacy for mayor today in front of a crowd of supporters, confirming months of speculation that he would compete against Mayor Adrian Fenty for the job.

In an afternoon news conference, Gray emphasized his D.C. roots in brief remarks and characterized the day as a celebration – choosing not to delve into specific election issues just yet.

“For those of you that don’t know, and I’ll be happy to repeat it as many times as I do, I’m a native Washingtonian, I’m a graduate of the public schools of the District of Columbia, I went to George Washington University. In essence, I am a dyed in the wool homey,” Gray said.

Gray said he was “delighted” to step up to provide more leadership in the District.

“The reality is, we can do better in the District of Columbia,” Gray said.

He said his campaign will focus on voter outreach to better understand the needs of people in D.C.

“We look forward to continuing to do the business of the city but most of all connecting with every voter that we possibly can to get our message out about why I will be the best candidate for mayor in the District of Columbia in the next election,” he said.

His campaign Web site has launched as well as a Twitter account and Facebook page. A video of today’s remarks can be seen here.