Temple takes out lacrosse

After just 13 minutes of play, senior Taylor Donohue netted her third goal of the game, giving GW a comfortable 4-0 lead over conference opponent Temple. Everything was clicking for the Colonials. They were controlling the offense, containing on defense and winning seemingly every loose ball.

“I told them to come out with energy, just to fight, really just play our game and execute,” head coach Tara Hannaford said after the game.

Unfortunately for GW, things didn’t stay that way.

After a timeout the Owls came out and scored three unanswered goals over the next five minutes, eventually tying the score before halftime and dominating the second half on their way to an 11-7 win over GW.

The Colonials (2-9, 0-2 Atlantic 10) got a strong first-half effort from Donohue, who had three goals and two assists in the game. Sophomore midfielder Sarah Phillips added a goal and two assists and junior goalie Liz Hoffman recorded 12 saves, but GW turned the ball over 16 times and scored just one time after halftime on its way to a sixth-straight loss.

“We didn’t take care of the ball when we got possession. We lost the battle on the draws, so we were on the defensive most of the time,” Hannaford said. “I also think our attackers didn’t move the ball like they were supposed to. We forced it; when you force the ball you’re gonna have turnovers.”

Sunday’s game almost mirrored Friday’s loss to Massachusetts, in which GW had a strong first half, but once again the team scored only one goal after halftime.

GW has five A-10 games left to qualify for the conference tournament. They play again Friday at Richmond at 3:30 p.m.