Staff Editorial: Logan Dobson for Executive Vice President

As the executive vice presidential election has gone to a runoff election, The Hatchet’s editorial board reiterates its endorsement for Logan Dobson for the office of executive vice president.

Compared to his opponent Rob Maxim, Dobson has the necessary parliamentary expertise and drive for advocacy that will maximize his effectiveness in the role.

Dobson is well known for his popular “Inside the SA” blog, which frequently scrutinizes the minutiae of SA politics. In the Student Association Senate, he is generally recognized as an authority on procedural rules, as well as an outspoken advocate on a number of issues. Both of these are perfect qualifications for the EVP role. Time and again, he has been critical of the self-obsessed nature of the SA, and is often a voice of reason where few are to be found. His opposition to last year’s Unity Ball and the more recent constitutional referendum were both times that Dobson found himself in a vocal, unwavering and correct minority position. Similarly, his platform encompasses key issues, and he has the institutional knowledge to realize his goals.

Junior Rob Maxim is the sole candidate who has not been an SA senator, although he has had experience as an SA secretary. We believe this experience fills any perceived void in his record, and he has also been a member of a number of student organizations and participated in many activities on campus. In the end, Maxim would probably make a good EVP, but in comparison, he simply does not have the fluency regarding issues that Dobson demonstrates.

We believe Dobson’s unparalleled knowledge of the SA’s legislative processes, and his impressive record of fighting for transparency make him the best choice for EVP. Vote for Logan Dobson for executive vice president in the runoff election of 2010-2011.