SEC chair will address GW Law at graduation

The chairperson of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission will address graduates of the GW Law School during Commencement Weekend in May.

The law school announced Wednesday afternoon that Mary Schapiro, a law school alumna and the first woman to head the SEC, will join three alumni and a Welling professor at the University’s graduation ceremonies. Schapiro and the SEC have been in the national spotlight recently as President Barack Obama moves to regulate risky market behavior.

Prior to her appointment, Schapiro served in the commission under former Presidents Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, and George W. Bush.

“I am delighted that Ms. Schapiro will join GW’s Law School Diploma Ceremony,” law school Dean Frederick Lawrence said in a news release. “Her passion for public service and willingness to take on the challenges of these economic times will undoubtedly inspire our graduating class.”

The University’s Commencement Weekend will begin Wednesday, May 12 and conclude with the University’s Commencement May 16 on the National Mall. The law school’s graduation ceremony also occurs May 16.

First lady Michelle Obama is expected to be the keynote speaker at the University-wide Commencement ceremony May 16, provided that the GW community meets her 100,000-service-hour challenge by May 1. As of Wednesday, students, faculty and staff need to complete 26,000 more hours.