The Hatchet has been named a finalist in seven categories for the Region II Mark of Excellence Awards. The awards, given out by the Society of Professional Journalists, are arguably the most highly coveted awards in collegiate journalism.
The paper will learn what place each submission received at a conference in late March. If a submission takes first place, it is sent on to a national competition. For the 2007 calendar year, The Hatchet was named the best non-daily collegiate newspaper in the country.
Below are our seven award-winning submissions:
- Sports writing: Rise, Fall, Rebuild – by Dan Greene
- Feature writing: Detained: Three days in Ethiopia – by Hadas Gold and Tamara El Waylly
- Photo illustration: Not your average reality star – Viktors Dindzans
- Column writing: Moving beyond “shamnesty” – by Justin Guiffre
- Online sports reporting: Being Bozeman – Nick Gingold
- Best all-around non-daily student newspaper (four-year institution)
- Best affiliated Web site (four-year institution)
Region II includes D.C., Maryland, Virginia, Delaware and North Carolina.