University to request construction permit for underground parking center

Web Exclusive

GW will request to begin construction on the underground parking portion of the new Law Learning Center with D.C.’s Office of Zoning next month, a University official said Thursday.

At last week’s meeting of the GW/Community Advisory Committee held at St. Mary’s Court, the committee told neighbors about the proposed underground parking facility and future Law Learning Center. The construction will take place at Square 103, located on G Street between 20th and 21st streets.

Susi Cora, GW’s director of Real Estate Planning and Project Management, said the plan is to provide “four levels of below grade parking and one level academic space for the law school.”

On the surface level, there would be an elevator lobby and stair exits. Besides that, the area “will stay as surface parking with some green space,” Cora said.

Including the surface-area parking, Square 103 would have approximately 350 parking spaces. The entrance and exit point for the underground parking garage would be in the public alley on 20th Street, between F and G streets.

According to the University’s Capital Budget, $25 million is to be allocated for the parking garage. The budget notes that GW needs to plan for parking spaces lost when the University Parking Garage is demolished to make room for the Science and Engineering Complex.

“It will help us with our parking capacity,” said Alicia O’Neil, senior associate vice president for operations, said.

The design team Perkins & Will and Shalom Baranes has already been contracted for the project. It is not known when a decision will come from the Zoning Board.