GW sports weekend roundup for March 5-7

With all the men’s and women’s basketball this weekend, there was a lot of GW sports action that didn’t make it onto our page. Here’s a full roundup of the weekend in Colonial athletics.

Baseball

The GW baseball team swept its three-game series at the University of South Carolina Upstate over the weekend, winning by scores of 5-1, 9-0 and 12-6, respectively. Reigning Atlantic 10 player of the week Eric Cantrell struck out nine and didn’t allow an earned run over eight innings Friday to earn his second win of the season in the series opener.

Saturday, GW scored eight of its nine runs in the last two innings, putting up four in both the eighth and ninth innings in support of junior starter Joe Richardson, who recorded seven scoreless innings against the Spartans.

Sunday, the Colonials collected 19 hits against USC-Upstate, including a 4-for-five, two RBI performance from senior Curtis Edward to ice GW’s sixth straight win after sweeping Coppin State the previous weekend.

GW’s home opener is this Tuesday against UMBC. First pitch is set for 2:30 p.m.

Women’s Lacrosse

The women’s lacrosse team held off Virginia Tech late Sunday to win its second game of the season, defeating the Hokies 9-8.

The Colonials’ Kristina Beese scored three straight goals within five minutes during the first half to lead GW in scoring on the afternoon, but GW never managed to pull away from the Hokies, who pulled to within one with just over six minutes left in the game but were turned away by the Colonials for the remainder of the contest.

Up next for the Lacrosse team is another home game, this time against Mount St. Mary’s scheduled for Wednesday at 3:30 p.m.

Softball

The GW women’s softball team split its four games this weekend in the Colonial Classic, beating Army 1-0 and Binghamtom 4-2 on Saturday before falling Sunday by scores of 4-1 and 5-0 to Canisius and Army.

Freshman Autumn Taylor recorded GW’s only run of the game in Saturday’s win over Army, blasting a pinch-hit home run over the wall in left-center to put GW on top. The Colonials toppled Binghamtom later Saturday on the strength of a four-run second inning that GW would hang on to over the remaining three innings to get the win.

The softball team is in action again this Thursday on the road at UMBC, with first pitch scheduled for 1 p.m.

Women’s gymnastics

The GW women’s gymnastics team posted a season high score of 192.375 in its Sunday meet at the Smith Center, good enough for second place behind New Hampshire and ahead of William & Mary in the three-team meet. The Colonials were led by junior Leslie Delima, whose score 38.525 in the all-around was a team high. Delima also led GW in the floor exercises as well as the Vault with scores of 9.875 and 9.725, respectively.

The Colonials will travel to Lexington, Ky. this Friday for their next meet against Kentucky and Illinois State, which is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.