Mr. and Miss GW crowned at homecoming game

A longtime couple – senior Nicholas Sampogna and junior Eden Sutley – were crowned Mr. and Miss GW for their Colonial spirit at the homecoming basketball game Saturday.

The 2010 Mr. and Miss GW, who have been dating for more than two years, were announced during the homecoming game where the men’s basketball team ultimately won over Charlotte. The candidates for Mr. and Miss GW – who also included juniors Jessica Gordon and Xochitl Sanchez, and seniors Brian Engel, Kyle Boyer and Shakir Cannon-Moye – were anonymously nominated and voting was held online.

Sutley and Sampogna received a $150 gift card provided by Colonial Challenge, a certificate, and caricature drawing during their coronation.

Sampogna said he knew the other participants, and it was an honor to win and represent the University.

“People often forget about how excited they were when they first came to GW, like at CI. It showed them how great the University is and how lucky they are to be here,” Sampogna said.

Sutley said Homecoming Week is a chance for students to “take a break from school and put their energy into school pride.”

“It was a really fun experience and fun to do with other nominees because I’m good friends with them,” Sutley said about being nominated for Miss GW. “It was an exciting game and we won. The basketball alumni were there too and I am glad to be a part of it.”

The pair have a long list of campus leadership positions to their name. Sutley is the former president of Delta Gamma and a current GPS guide; she also served as a CI staffer. Sampogna was on Colonial Cabinet and is the former president of Pi Kappa Alpha.

“I voted for both of them because they both embody the spirit and what the contest was about. They both are passionate about the University and care for it,” said Jake Miner, a sophomore in the Elliott School and a member of Pi Kappa Alpha.

Cecilia Matrone, a sophomore in the Business School, said she knows the winners and said they are both committed to spirit at GW.

“Nicky is one of the most spirited people that I know,” Matrone said.

Sanchez, whose unsuccessful bid for the Student Association presidency ended Thursday, said she thinks she was nominated because she is “involved on campus so people see what I’m about. I have a lot to give back to the University and a lot of school spirit.”

Finalists were officially announced at George Washington’s Birthday Bonfire on Monday, Feb. 22. Students were able to vote online on the GW Spirit Web site all week.

For Gordon, one of the Miss GW nominees, Homecoming Week and the contest set up by the GW Spirit Program are “wonderful ideas” that contribute to GW spirit.

“I can really see a difference from when I was a freshman to now, from the GMU vs. GW basketball game, to Homecoming Week, to the contest,” she said.

More than 30 former basketball players representing six decades came to the game and were introduced during halftime of the homecoming basketball game.