Women’s lacrosse earns dramatic first win

Wednesday afternoon’s GW women’s lacrosse game against American was full of firsts for the Colonials. The game was GW’s first home game of the season, and it was the first time that GW has ever played host to the District-rival Eagles.

The game itself saw the Colonials’ first overtime period of the season, which ended with another first: GW’s first win of the season, beating American 12-11.

The back-and-forth tone of the game was set early in the first half when GW (1-1) sophomore Hilary Quinn scored her team’s first goal of the afternoon just two minutes after American netted its own first goal.

After again falling behind the Eagles 2-1, GW rattled off three straight goals to go up 4-2 on American. The Eagles would respond however, scoring three of the next four goals to tie the game at five going into halftime.

GW came out of halftime seemingly more determined and focused than it was in the first half, scoring four straight goals to take a 9-5 lead over American. The Colonials appeared to be in control for much of the remainder of the half until the final six minutes, when American scored three goals to tie the game at 11 with just over one minute left in regulation.

Neither team could score in the final minute or for most of overtime, and it wasn’t until there were five seconds left in the extra period that Quinn scored the game-winner, handing the Colonials their first win of their young season. The hard-fought nature of Wednesday’s game was not a surprise to GW head coach Tara Hannaford.

“I knew going into the game that the girls were ready,” Hannaford said. “We had a great practice yesterday [Tuesday] and the whole team really clicked.”

Six Colonials scored in the game, including sophomores Quinn, Sarah Phillips and Megan Seidman, who each tied for the GW scoring lead with three goals apiece.

Three other Colonials had a goal, including senior Taylor Donohue, who ended Wednesday’s game just two points away from tying Jamie Lee for fifth place on GW’s all-time points list after her one-goal, one-assist performance against American.

Donohue, the lone senior scorer for the Colonials said she was energized and “ecstatic about the win. I think it really shows the willpower and strength of our team.” Donohoe added that because the Colonials “lost to [American] last year, I think there was a sense of revenge and payback. It was a total team effort.”

Hannaford was equally animated about her team’s win.

“The girls really hung tough and got key plays when they needed them, and really executed in overtime,” Hannaford said.

Next up for the Colonials is a home game against James Madison Saturday at 1 p.m.