For Executive Vice President: Josh Goldstein

Two-year Student Association veteran Josh Goldstein said he is running for SA executive vice president because he wants to bring back the “spirit of advocacy” to the SA.

Goldstein, a sophomore and SA senator for the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, said he will focus on dining, academic issues like a degree audit system and advising, and student outreach.

Class: Sophomore
Major: American studies
Hometown: Westport, Conn.

Clubs/Activities: Beta Theta Pi treasurer, College Democrats

Top three platform goals: Improve dining, Focus on academic issues, Increase student outreach

Previous SA experience: 2008-2009 Freshman senator, 2009-2010 CCAS-U senator

Reason for running: To bring back the spirit of advocacy to the SA.

How did you spend snow week? Walked up the middle of Pennsylvania Avenue in the snow to see Barack Obama speak at the DNC.

Were you at the GW-GU Snowdown? Unfortunately not. I wish I was.

“The SA is supposed to be an advocacy organization and truthfully it has failed in that regard for the most part. I’ve gotten to see how the Student Association works and I’ve seen how the Student Association doesn’t work,” Goldstein said.

Goldstein said he has personally sat down with 30 student organizations this year to talk to students and find out what they care about.

“There has been a collective failure when it comes to outreach. We claim to represent a group of students. As EVP, I would make sure every senator does that,” Goldstein said.

One of the themes of Goldstein’s campaign is “time to be heard,” referring to communication between the SA, students and the administration.

Another theme of his campaign is that every problem the University faces is a “one-in-five problem,” referring to the number of incoming freshmen who do not leave GW with a degree, according to enrollment data.

“A lot of times GW believes it’s a corporation instead of a customer service educational institution,” he said.