Staff Editorial: Only Greek-letter candidates

The registration period for the Student Association elections has now closed, after being delayed by the snow week. There are two candidates for president and four for executive vice president, and while six candidates for the top two positions is not a bad size for the electoral field, that all six are part of the Greek-letter community is disheartening.

Some have said that Greek-letter organizations have a disproportionate level of influence on campus, and being part of one of these groups is typically a boost for any potential candidate. Whether or not this influenced the decision of non-Greek-letter students to run, this election highlights that criticism.

This is not to say that the Greek-letter students should not run. We applaud students vying for leadership positions on campus, no matter what they are involved in. The real issue is the lack of candidates from other segments of the University. The lack of diversity in the election will mean that those who experience GW without Greek-letter involvement will be underrepresented both in campaigns and at the top levels of next year’s student government.

Having student leaders who are also members of the Greek-letter community has not been a problem in the past. But the fact that other groups have not found ways to promote the talent and leadership that exists in other segments of the University is disappointing.

Readers can visit the Forum to comment on this editorial.