Months later, ABRA investigation still pending

The investigation into Adams Mill, the bar where sophomore Laura Treanor drank the night she died of alcohol poisoning, is still pending after nearly five months, a D.C. Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration spokesman said Wednesday.

ABRA Director Frederick Moosally said in late January that the board would see the report from the investigation at ABRA’s weekly board meeting either Feb. 3 or Feb. 10. But because of the snow, the board meeting was pushed back, spokesman Bill Hager said.

“We didn’t have a board meeting last week because of Snowmageddon, so everything’s been pushed back a little bit, so there’s no actual official date yet of submission to the board yet, however, it is coming up,” he said.

ABRA launched the investigation in October, in response to questions regarding the death of 19-year-old Treanor, who drank at Adams Mill the night before she died of alcohol poisoning in her Ivory Tower room the morning of Jan. 23, 2009.

This is the second major investigative report into the bar, located in Adams Morgan, in recent months. Last week, The Hatchet reported that an ABRA investigation accusing the establishment of serving customers more than one drink at a time was referred to D.C.’s Office of the Attorney General.

In addition, the bar has been the subject of a number of hearings over the past several years, according to documents obtained by The Hatchet through a Freedom of Information Act request. Previously, the bar was fined $12,000 and given a consecutive 10-day suspension for serving overly intoxicated patrons. The bar served the suspension just more than a week before Treanor died.

The pending report will not be made public until the ABRA board reviews it. If the board decides to take action against Adams Mill, the case will be reviewed by the Office of the Attorney General.