More than a dozen liquor law violations reported during snow days week

This post was written by Hatchet Reporter T.C. Flowers.

During the six-day weekend caused by two snowstorms, all liquor law violations for the month of February occurred.

From Feb. 5 to Feb. 11, a total of 15 liquor law violations were reported by University Police, about double the amount of a typical weekend at GW.

Eight liquor law violations were reported in the UPD crime log over the weekend of Jan. 29 to Jan. 31.

“With everyone locked in there were definitely more parties. There weren’t many options so more kids opted to drink,” said freshman Joe Cordi.

Between Feb. 5 and Feb. 7, eight liquor law violations occurred and the seven other incidents were reported during the snow days when classes were canceled.

“I would say that most students tended to drink more considering that because of the snow there was not much for them to do,” said sophomore Ryan Boyko .

“What else can you do when you’re snowed in, especially with Metro not running and the streets not being plowed,” he said.

Cordi said he noticed more UPD officers in Thurston over the snow days.

“They were patrolling the halls of Thurston every night more than usual. They knew the snow would probably bring more parties so they were ready for it,” he said.

UPD Chief Dolores Stafford did not return request for comment.

No other crimes increased drastically during the break, but there were a total of 11 cases of destruction were reported across campus and four drug law violations.