Campus construction sites disrupted by heavy snow

This week’s record snowfall has not only wreaked havoc on the streets, causing cancellation of classes and transportation issues, but it has also created complications for construction projects around campus.

Jake Stroman, a senior project manager for Boston Properties, said in an e-mail Tuesday that Square 54 construction has been affected by the recent snowfall.

“Concrete placement activities have subsided as crews are on site dealing with snow removal,” Stroman said.

Certain material and equipment deliveries were rescheduled this week due to the snow over the weekend and the second round of snow that started Feb. 9. But despite the impediments due to snow, construction has continued – though perhaps more slowly – on some parts at the site.

“Interior MEP [mechanical, electrical and plumbing] work is continuing in the garage, office building and residential building and curtainwall installation activities have also slowed down as a result of the weather,” Stroman said.

In terms of the snow’s long-term effects, Stroman said “it is too early to tell if there are any delays that would affect the critical path schedule.”

Construction at Pelham Hall on the Mount Vernon campus and on the green space near Guthridge Hall experienced the same snow-related trouble as Square 54.

John Ralls, senior adviser for communications and outreach in the Office of the Executive Vice President and Treasurer, said in an e-mail Tuesday that there was no work on the green space Saturday, and Monday’s work focused on clearing snow from the site.

“Although challenging for on site logistics, the recent snowfalls are not anticipated to affect the scheduled completion of the green space, which is slated to open prior to commencement,” he said.

Ralls noted that some project work was executed on Tuesday – before Wednesday’s secondary snowstorm – and no major site issues have been reported.

Due to a lack of storage at the construction sites, deliveries are normally made each day. This week, though, deteriorated road conditions prevented the deliveries.

“It’s difficult to have the workmen come in and also get the supplies you need,” Lou Katz, executive vice president and treasurer, said of the construction.

Katz explained Tuesday that these setbacks should not affect the timing of the projects in the long-run, however.

“On our major projects we are either on schedule or ahead of schedule, so again although we would prefer this not happening, it’s not going to delay the projects themselves,” Katz said.

Emily Cahn contributed to this report.