Board of Trustees meeting will occur Friday

Web Exclusive

The Board of Trustees meeting planned for Friday will take place as scheduled, with trustees who are unable to attend in person calling in to the teleconference, University officials and Board members said.

For trustees unable to make their way into D.C. the committee meetings, full board meeting and the Executive Session will be held as a teleconference between those in the Elliott School and those at home. The board, which meets three times a year, is expected to vote on tuition for the incoming class and evaluate financial aid levels for next year.

“Weather permitting, and if we achieve a quorum of those physically present, the meeting will go ahead as usual, except that out-of-town members will participate by phone, because we have already heard from them that it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to secure a flight to and from an Washington-area airport,” University President Steven Knapp said in an e-mail on Wednesday.

For quorum, Knapp said, 11 trustees must be physically present for voting to occur. If 11 members are not able to make it to GW, the closed Executive Session, which allows for voting over the phone, will decide on all voting matters.

At last February’s meeting, the Board approved a $13 million financial aid boost and a 3 percent tuition increase.

“This is the meeting at which tuition levels are set. Financial aid is part of the overall university budget that is approved in May, based on projections of what will be needed,” Knapp said.

The meetings usually span two days with the 13 standing and special committees meeting on Thursday and the full Board meeting Friday in the Elliott School.

Trustee Alan From – whose flight from North Carolina was canceled Tuesday night – said he is disappointed he cannot make it into D.C. for the meeting. From is the Chair of the Student Life Committee which traditionally meets with randomly selected students before each committee meeting.

“I always enjoy participating with and meeting with students,” From said Wednesday morning. “I think this is unfortunate that this has happened but you can’t control Mother Nature.”