Sports in Brief: Winter weather causes flurry of cancellations

Although both the men’s and women’s basketball teams played their games as scheduled on Saturday, the wintery weather wreaked havoc on most of GW’s athletic schedule over the weekend.

The GW men’s tennis team was forced to postpone all of its action for what would have been a busy weekend. The team’s matches Friday at Temple, Saturday at the University of Pennsylvania and Sunday at William & Mary were all postponed because of snow.

No make-up dates for any of the contests have been scheduled as of yet.

The women’s tennis team also had to postpone matches because of weather. The Colonials’ matches Saturday and Sunday against Pennsylvania and the University of Maryland were both pushed back due to the snow storm that delivered record snowfall to the area.

The team’s match against Pennsylvania has been rescheduled for Friday Feb. 26 at 3 p.m. No make-up date has been set for the Maryland match.

The women’s gymnastics team was scheduled to participate in a meet at North Carolina State University in Raleigh, N.C. on Friday, but had to withdraw after being unable to travel to the event. The meet went on without GW.

The gymnastics team is scheduled to host North Carolina State Sunday at 1 p.m. at the Smith Center, while the women’s tennis team will host George Mason Friday at Montclair Community College in Woodbridge, Va.

Men’s tennis will travel to Monroeville, Pa. Friday to play Duquesne.

Women’s water polo opens season this weekend

The GW women’s water polo team will begin its 2010 season this weekend with three games in two days at the Bucknell Invitational in Lewisburg, Pa.

The Colonials will play Villanova Friday at 7:15 p.m. and then have games against Wagner and Sienna Saturday afternoon.

GW’s first home game will be March 11 against Bucknell.

Upcoming Home Games

Women’s basketball, vs. Richmond, Smith Center, Wednesday, 7 p.m.

Number Crunch: 40

The number of points in the paint the men’s basketball team allowed in its 70-63 loss to Duquesne Saturday. The Dukes outscored GW 40-28 in the category and also 19-4 on fast breaks.