University: Snow is chance to ‘build community within the halls’

The beginnings of the snow storm on Friday at 22nd and G streets. Viktors Dindzans/Photo Editor
The beginnings of the weekend's snowstorm at 22nd and G streets. Viktors Dindzans/Photo Editor

This post was written by Hatchet Staff Writer Kara Dunford.

With 20 to 30 inches of snow expected to fall on the District this weekend, the University’s Housing Staff is promoting different activities to residents to help them pass the time inside.

Housing staff are encouraging students to attend “Warm Zone” activities, which include television and movie marathons at the Fishbowl, free play at the Hippodrome and two Saturday night performances of “Children of Eden” by Forbidden Planet Productions.

Housing staff members will also be coordinating activities on their own, such as movie-watching in the residence halls, University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard said.

“The goal is to ensure students are safe and comfortable. The staff see this snow weekend as an opportunity to build community within the halls,”she said in an e-mail.

Additional activities center around the men’s basketball game Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. against Duquesne. The athletic department announced earlier today that the game is expected to be played as scheduled. Free hot chocolate and cookies will be available for students who attend the game, and before the game, Colonial Army will sponsor “Snow-lympics” in University Yard. In addition, students will have the opportunity to win GWorld money by building a Colonial Snow-Fan, designing a sign for the game or uploading a Blizzard 2010 photo to the GW Sports Facebook page.

As snowfall forecasts have continued to grow, the University announced this morning that all classes after 3 p.m. Friday and on Saturday would be canceled. In addition, University administrative offices are set to close at 4 p.m.

Long lines have been reported at many local grocery stores, and managers at Trader Joe’s and Safeway said the stores plan to remain open with regular hours.