Spring Break Guide: Cruise

There may be snow on the ground but spring break is right around the corner. Not sure what to do? We’ve put together five options for a vacation, all at different price levels to suit any budget.

Cruise | Ski Resort | Staying Home | Europe | Canada

Why worry about all the details for spring break – how to get there, where to stay, where to eat – when you can have it all provided for you? There are countless types of cruises from which to choose: from European cruises, to Alaskan cruises, to the typical Caribbean cruises. From high class to Disney, you can find whatever kind of vacation you want. The thing with cruising is, on most major cruise lines at least one member of the party must be 21 years old. Even if the drinking age is different out at sea, to make the reservation, there is usually an age requirement.

The Student City Party Cruise package offers a 5-hour cruise and four-to-five-day stay in Freeport, Bahamas for anyone over the age of 18. While on the ship, students are offered many different modes of entertainment, from dance lessons to lounging around the pool. The boat leaves from Fort Lauderdale, Fla. and offers a free buffet lunch on the trip to and from the island. Taxi service from the port to the hotel is also complimentary. Most hotels that book through the cruise package are located close to the downtown area or on the beach and also offer free breakfast.

There are additional party packages available for purchase, starting at $79, that include all-you-can-drink deals at local bars and a booze cruise during the day. Because the drinking age is 18 on the island, there are more than eight student-friendly bars and clubs in the area for your entertainment.

Depending on which partner hotel you choose to stay at and how many people you share your room with, the total cruise starting price begins at $488.

For a more traditional cruise option, and if you have at least one person in your group who is 21, try a five-day cruise with one of the more popular cruise lines, such as Royal Caribbean, Carnival or Norwegian Cruise lines. To get the true spring break flavor, take one of the many Caribbean cruise trips that leaves from various destinations in Florida. A five-night cruise on Royal Caribbean that leaves from Tampa and stops in Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico is around $400 per person. (The higher price is due to all-inclusive meals.) Currently, flights to Tampa from D.C. are around $300, which would make the total trip price around $700.

How much does a cruise cost?

Cruise for 18+ Ages: Total (with flight) starting at $788

Cruise requiring 21+ age reservation: Total (with flight) starting at around $700

Hadas Gold, Max McGowen, Miranda Green