Sports in Brief

Men’s tennis tabbed to be top team in A-10

GW’s men’s tennis team was predicted to finish first in the Atlantic 10 this spring in a poll of conference coaches released this week.

The Colonials do not have a single senior on their roster, though their youth did not prevent them from earning the top seed in last spring’s A-10 tournament with a roster featuring all underclassmen.

Junior Chris Kushma had an 11-2 record in the fall season while classmate Erik Hannah and sophomore Ugur Atalay are ranked 29th in the country as a doubles tandem. Atalay was named the conference’s top rookie last season.

After losing 6-1 at Old Dominion Jan. 16, GW will continue the spring season this weekend with events at Temple Friday, the University of Pennsylvania Saturday and William & Mary Sunday.

The conference championship will be determined in Monroeville, Pa., in a three-day event beginning April 16.

Pair of Colonials earns awards

Two GW athletes were recognized by the Atlantic 10 Monday for their performances over the weekend in conference play.

Sophomore Jacqueline Corba was named the conference’s top women’s tennis performer of the week for her strong showing in the Colonials’ loss to Long Beach State Sunday. Corba got the only GW singles win against the 49ers, defeating Long Beach State’s Deborah Armstrong in the No. 1 singles match.

Corba also won her No. 1 doubles match paired with Nadia Demidenko, but GW would drop the other two doubles matches and lose the lone point awarded for doubles.

Freshman swimmer Alex Etz was named the A-10’s top men’s swimmer for the third time this season after winning the 200-yard backstroke in GW’s meet Sunday at George Mason. Etz also swam the third leg of the Colonials’ victorious 400-yard medley relay team and the third leg in his team’s 400-yard freestyle, which finished second.

The women’s tennis team will be in action Saturday at the University of Pennsylvania.

Men’s swimming will be off until Feb. 17 when the team will compete in the Atlantic 10 championships, hosted by St. Bonaventure in Buffalo, N.Y.

Number Crunch: 13

The number of points senior Damian Hollis scored in the first 3 and a half minutes of GW’s 72-68 loss at Charlotte Wednesday. Hollis finished the game with a team-best 23 points on 8-of-11 shooting.