Search for new UPD chief still in preliminary stages

Although University Police Chief Dolores Stafford announced in October that she would retire by the end of the academic year, the search for her replacement has yet to begin in earnest.

GW is working on launching a search, Senior Associate Vice President for Administration Ed Schonfeld said.

“The University has engaged a search firm to help find a UPD chief to fill the big shoes being left by Dolores Stafford. A national search will begin soon, and we will consider both external and internal candidates,” Schonfeld said.

University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard did not have information on which search firm will be used.

“Once the search process is underway, we’ll be able to provide more information,” Sherrard said in an e-mail Feb. 1.

Stafford has been asked for her input as part of the search process, but she declined requests to comment.

Last semester, Stafford said she would stay in her position through a transition period for UPD’s new chief, but would leave by the end of the school year.

Stafford, who has served at GW for 18 years, told The Hatchet previously she plans to live in Delaware and to work part time for the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators when she leaves the University.