The Hatchet’s Bucket List

Every week The Hatchet will post an excerpt from its own “Bucket List” – things our staff thinks every student at GW should accomplish in the four years before they graduate. See if you can also cross them all off your list.

As the winter weather continues here are three bucket list items that you can do to either escape from or revel in the outdoor cold.

4. Ice skate at the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden ice rink

The skating rink is a seasonal fixture on the mall and only open until mid-March. So seize the opportunity while it lasts and go for jaunt around the rink. It’s open Monday-Thursday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday- Saturday 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. and Sunday 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.  Student tickets are $6 for two hours.

5. Get a drink (or a few) at Nooshi Happy Hour

Nooshi - the best combination of happy hour and Asian food. Photo by harish.krishna used under Creative Commons License

Located only a short walk away from campus at 1120 19th Street, Nooshi is a pan-Asian restaurant that caters towards the college and younger working class with its famous happy hour. Happy Hour runs from 5-7 p.m. Monday to Saturday and offers drinks from mojitos to apple martinis. The food is also mentionable, although the drinks are what are going to keep you warm from the cold.

6. Attend a Colonials basketball game

Though many debate the amount of school spirit GW has, you cannot graduate without attending at least one basketball game. Think large, or small, crowds cheering, band music playing, cheerleaders and sweaty athletes. Not to mention there is always a chance that there will be another visit from our neighbor, Mr. President. The next home game is against Duquesne on Feb. 6 in the Smith Center at 2 p.m.