Sports in Brief

Swim teams lose races

GW’s men’s and women’s swim teams lost Sunday at George Mason, falling 109-87 and 113-73, respectively, in what was the final regular season meet for both teams.

Among the first-place finishers for the men’s team were freshman Niklas Glenesk, who won the 200-yard freestyle and Alex Etz, who won the 200-yard backstroke. The men’s 400-yard medley relay race team also won, beating out the Patriots’ relay team by less than a second to clinch the victory.

The women were led by junior Paola Leor, who took second place in the 100-yard butterfly and swam the anchor leg for the Colonials in the team’s 200-yard medley relay win.

Next up for both of GW’s teams will be the Atlantic 10 championships, which will be held in Buffalo, N.Y. and hosted by St. Bonaventure.

Women’s tennis loses

The GW women’s tennis team fell Sunday against Long Beach State University 6-1 in a match held at Montclair Community College in Woodbridge, Va.

The Colonials’ lone point came from sophomore Jacqueline Corba, who defeated the 49ers’ Deborah Armstrong in the first singles match. Corba also paired with Nadia Demidenko to win a doubles match for GW, although the Colonials would lose the other two doubles contests, giving the single point awarded for doubles play to Long Beach State.

The Colonials take the court again next Saturday, Feb. 6, when they will travel to Philadelphia to face the University of Pennsylvania at 11 a.m.

Gymnastics falls in Ohio

GW gymnastics lost its second consecutive road meet Friday, falling 193.950-188.600 at Kent State.

Junior Leslie Delima led the Colonials in every event, including a 9.8 in the floor exercises. GW failed to defeat the Golden Flashes in any events in the meet, although sophomore Brittany Burnham tied Kent State’s Christine Abou-Mitri for first in the balance beam.

The Colonials will be in action again this Friday against North Carolina State and Florida at North Carolina State. The meet is set to begin at 7 p.m.

Upcoming Games

Men’s Basketball, at Charlotte, Charlotte, N.C., Wednesday, 7:30 p.m.

Women’s Basketball, vs. No. 10/10 Xavier, Smith Center, Wednesday, 7 p.m.

Number Crunch: 2

The number of games in a row the GW women’s basketball team had won before losing at Saint Joseph’s Saturday. It was only the second time this season the team had won back-to-back games.